My new cough syrup is loaded with a combination of remedies that can help provide a natural way to get relief from coughs and congestion when you need it. Here’s a closer look at the ingredients and how they can help:
• Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that relax airways to ease coughs. It can also reduce nausea, provide pain relief for sore throats, and help break up and loosen mucus.
• Thyme contains flavonoids that relax your throat muscles to reduce coughing as well as reduce inflammation. It also contains vitamins C and A to help boost your immune system.
• Cayenne contains capsaicin which has the ability to suppress pain signals that reach the brain and provide you with relief.
• Lemon reduces congestion by opening up your sinuses. It also contains vitamin C and citric acid that help boost your immune system and fight off bad bacteria.
• Local honey helps coat and soothe your throat. Since it’s sourced locally, it can help boost your defenses to allergens in our area as well.
• No artificial dyes and just one natural sweetener - local honey!
Raw honey has been minimally processed, which allows it to retain things like pollen, enzymes and antioxidants that are usually lost during processing. Let’s look at some other health benefits of raw honey:
• Bee Pollen - Only raw honey retains bee pollen and the micronutrients it provides. There are around 250 different substances found in bee pollen such as vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids. Studies have shown that bee pollen can improve liver function and reduce the risk of stroke.
• Antioxidants - All honey contains plant compounds called polyphenols, but raw honey contains up to 4 times as much as processed honey. Polyphenols have been shown to reduce inflammation, lower risk of heart disease and certain cancers, and act as an antioxidant in your body.
• Sore Throat Relief - Honey provides a protective coating for your throat to offer you some relief.
• Cough Remedy - Studies have shown that honey can be as effective as the ingredient dextromethorphan that’s in most over the counter cough medicines. You’ll get cough-reducing benefits but from a natural source.
• Wound Healing - Honey has potent antibacterial and antifungal properties and has been shown to be effective in clearing infection in wounds and protecting them from becoming infected.
• Improve Digestive Issues - All it takes is 1 to 2 tbsp of raw honey on an empty stomach to offer pain relief and healing for ulcers that occur in the digestive system.
Our Organic Elderberry Syrup, is made with Southern Indiana raw honey! There are many health benefits to elderberry, let’s take a look at them:
• Immune Boosting
Elderberry syrup may relieve flu symptoms and reduce the length of time the flu lasts when taken by mouth within 48 hours of the first symptoms.
• High In Vitamin C
There are 52mg of vitamin C in one cup of elderberries, which accounts for 87% of the recommended daily intake.
• Phenolic Acids
These powerful antioxidants help reduce the harmful effects of oxidative stress in the body.
• Reduce Inflammation, Stress, and Bacteria
As well as reducing stress and fighting bacteria, elderberries are rich in anthocyanins which have anti-inflammatory properties.
Cinnamon is the second most popular spice in the US after pepper and has been prized for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. These benefits have been confirmed by research and here are some of them:
• High in antioxidants and helps protect your body’s cells.
• Flavonoids help to relieve inflammation, which can reduce the risk of heart disease.
• Improves heart health by helping to support good cholesterol levels and regulate blood pressure.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and improves sensitivity to the hormone insulin.
• Antioxidants support brain health and defend against the development of neurological diseases.
• Fights disease and infection due to its antimicrobial, antibiotic, anti-fungal and antiviral properties.
• Helps fight bad breath due to its antibacterial properties and essential oils.
I started this journey as a momma wanting better for her boys- and not pay outrageous store prices. As it turns out I wasn't alone.