Raw honey has been minimally processed, which allows it to retain things like pollen, enzymes and antioxidants that are usually lost during processing. Let’s look at some other health benefits of raw honey:
• Bee Pollen - Only raw honey retains bee pollen and the micronutrients it provides. There are around 250 different substances found in bee pollen such as vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids. Studies have shown that bee pollen can improve liver function and reduce the risk of stroke.
• Antioxidants - All honey contains plant compounds called polyphenols, but raw honey contains up to 4 times as much as processed honey. Polyphenols have been shown to reduce inflammation, lower risk of heart disease and certain cancers, and act as an antioxidant in your body.
• Sore Throat Relief - Honey provides a protective coating for your throat to offer you some relief.
• Cough Remedy - Studies have shown that honey can be as effective as the ingredient dextromethorphan that’s in most over the counter cough medicines. You’ll get cough-reducing benefits but from a natural source.
• Wound Healing - Honey has potent antibacterial and antifungal properties and has been shown to be effective in clearing infection in wounds and protecting them from becoming infected.
• Improve Digestive Issues - All it takes is 1 to 2 tbsp of raw honey on an empty stomach to offer pain relief and healing for ulcers that occur in the digestive system.
I started this journey as a momma wanting better for her boys- and not pay outrageous store prices. As it turns out I wasn't alone.